Family Sponsorship in Canada

What is Spousal and Family Sponsorship?

Canada is a very lenient country when it comes to families. The government of Canada supports the families and their decision to live together. So, if you are a permanent resident or you have Canadian citizenship, you can consider spousal and family sponsorship to bring your own family to Canada. You can sponsor your wife/husband, children, parents, grandparents, and partners.


Relationship Categories for Spousal Sponsorship Option

There are three well-defined relationship categories under Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. And you can only sponsor the person who comes under those categories. Here they are:

  • Spouse

Under that category comes your husband/wife. The age of both you and your spouse must be at least 18.

  • Common-Law Spouse

A joint law partner is someone you are not legally married with. Again, you and your partner must have at least 18 years of age. And there is a condition that your spouse must have lived together at least for a year.

  • Conjugal Partner

Your partner must be at least 18 or older and must have lived with you.


Eligibility Criteria to Sponsor a Spouse

If you are a permanent resident or a citizen living in Canada, then you can easily sponsor your spouse. You must have to fulfill the eligibility criteria for sponsoring your spouse first. The eligibility criteria are:

  • The minimum age limit to sponsor someone is 18.
  • Once you invite your spouse to Canada, he/she is going to be a permanent resident. So, it will be better if you are living in Canada at that time.
  • If you were sponsored to become a permanent resident, and it’s been no more than five years, then you are not eligible.
  • You are not receiving social assistant.
  • And you should have a conviction-free history of “family abuse”.
  • It is recommended to have an income source or a decent bank balance to support your spouse for at least three years.

The Documents You Need to Sponsor your Spouse

You will also need to submit some documents to the immigration officer. Here is the list of some of the documents that you will submit;

  • You will have to answer all the sponsorship and relationship-related questionnaire and forms.
  • Legal Marriage Certificate.
  • You will need your wedding pictures as well in some cases, or you can also show your wedding invitations.
  • You will need the birth certificates of the biological children you have or the ones you have adopted if applicable.
  • You will need all the additional documents that can act as your legal wedding proof.

Additional Documents that You Will Require

You might also require some additional requirements, such as

  • Government identity cards will be needed.
  • All the insurance and joint bank details should be available, especially in the common-law partner case.
  • You might also need your utility bills.


The Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents

Canadian lifestyle, including education, health, and work opportunities are far better than several top-notch countries. And if you get the Canadian PR or citizenship, then it is an amazing chance to invite your parents and grandparents to Canada. And the Canadian government understands that and accepts thousands of applications every year.

Eligibility Requirements

If you are diligent to sponsor your parents and grandparents then;

  • You need to be at least 18 years old.
  • You should be living in Canada, and you must be a permanent resident or a citizen.
  • You will have to show your income details and financial situation to show that you will be able to support your parents and grandparents.


Sponsoring Your Children

If at least one of the parents is a permanent resident in Canada or holds Canadian citizenship, he/she can sponsor their child. But the children must fall under the definition of a dependent applicant. There will be no use in going through all the application’s process otherwise.

Eligibility requirements for sponsoring children

Children should never live separate from their parents. So, here are the eligibility requirements if you are a parent and want to sponsor your children.

  • Your age is at least 18 if you are sponsoring your child.
  • You have to prove and convince the Canadian government and immigration that after sponsoring you are going to live in Canada with your child/children.
  • And you should have a conviction-free history of “family abuse”.
  • It is recommended to have an income source or a decent bank balance to support your children financially.


Process Timing For A Sponsorship

Sponsorship time is not going to take a week or two, you need to be very patient as the processing delay for the sponsorship can take up to 2 years.


Things That Disqualifies You As A Sponsor

Sponsoring your parents, grandparents, or even your spouse and kids is a very crucial task as you are asking them to start living with you permanently. Well, the application might be difficult, and the time it takes to sponsor someone is already too much. So, we do not want you to get yourself in trouble or disappoint your loved ones. It’s better if you know what disqualifies you as a sponsor before applying for the sponsorship. Here are some things that disqualify you as a sponsor;

  • If you do not have enough financial resources or you are bankrupt.
  • If you have a criminal history.
  • If you are living temporarily in Canada, you are not eligible, you have to be a Permanent resident or a citizen.
  • If you are disabled and receiving assistance, then you are eligible to sponsor. But if you are receiving it for any other reason, you don’t qualify to sponsor.
  • If you are not committed to being financially responsible for the sponsored person.


We Can HELP You

In Zoghbi Immigration, we are committed to provide the best experience to our clients all over the world. Take the free assessment from here or book a consultation with us from here.